Sunday, August 4, 2019

Trump address to the nation Sunday, August 4, 2019

For whatever reasons, I found myself wanting to write the speech I feel our president needs to deliver to the nation after this past weekend's mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton.  Your feedback is appreciated.

Donald Trump:

My fellow Americans, this has been a weekend of violence that has cost many fellow citizens their lives and even more their peace of mind and security. We mourn with the families of those who have been killed and mourn for our country in which such killings are entirely too frequent.

It has been said that my words have played a role in empowering those who are inclined through mental illness, violent addictions, or any other impetus to act on their violent tendencies. I can no longer deny that there is truth in these accusations. As the leader of our country, I now realize that I have an obligation to moderate my own speaking so that it can no longer be said to enable violent action. It is of small comfort, but I do apologize for any role I have played in bringing our country to this point.

I also challenge others who contribute through their rhetoric to the divide that is causing an emotional, political, and spiritual civil war within our beloved nation. I challenge all Americans to focus now on solutions rather than on blame.  Our nation is in need of healing which can only occur if we work on it together.

I ask the nation to join me with their thoughts and prayers for the victims: those who have died and all who are grieved by their losses. I ask the nation to join me in thoughts and prayers for the families of the perpetrators who must feel tremendous pain and even shame. But I also accept the criticism that thoughts and prayers are not enough.

Therefore, within the coming week, I will have established a group of bipartisan citizens–not just politicians –to begin to look at ways we might put an end to the spiral of violence and divisiveness that has become how our country is being seen by the rest of the world. I will ask this group to look at policies and procedures that contribute to violence and to propose,  by year's end, policies and procedures that will stop it from being the norm. I will direct them to look at legal, educational, social, political, and other solutions that will make America great again. The group will consist of survivors of mass violence, families of victims as well as national and spiritual leaders.  No proposed solution will be rejected out of hand. No voice will be discounted prior to consideration.

The history of our country is that when we come together as one we achieve great things. When we are divided we cause only ruin, hardship, and great pain. This weekend has brought me to realize that my job is to unite and that I have not done that job at all well. In whatever time I have remaining to serve as our president, by the grace of God I will atone for my failures in word and deed through healing words and loving deeds. Out of the blood of those martyred by violence may new life, new ways of thinking, and a new America emerge.

Thank you, and God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment